Thursday, December 18, 2014

A big change

I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for a while now after doing some amateur research on the way animals are treated in the US and the environmental impact their production has on our planet. What I've found is honestly really gross. After watching this video, my decision is cemented.

I will not be eating meat any longer.

Since I began learning about the treatment of animals, I changed my tune to only purchase what I call "happy meat," or meat with a high wellness rating- animals that roam freely in fields, are not given antibiotics to grow, and are treated humanely. It's not enough. While ending my meat consumption may not make a large impact globally or even locally, I will continue to learn the facts about animal production and share them (in reasonable ways- I don't plan on grossing everyone out at the table if someone is eating meat.) so that others understand that it's not just about the animals' welfare; it's about our own.

If we want our children and grandchildren to live in a safe environment, it's time to make these changes in our behavior, and not eating meat is a simple way to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment